Student Funding

Student advisor speaks with a student

Funding Explained

If you’re a Scottish student at a further education college in Scotland, you usually don’t pay fees. In addition, you can also receive help with the cost of studying, including living and travel costs, course materials and childcare. What you’re entitled to will depend on:

  • Where you live, i.e. your nationality and residency status.
  • Your course, e.g. above or below HNC level, full or part-time.
  • Your age at start date of the course.
  • Your personal circumstances, e.g. your income or spouse/parents’ income, marital status, number of dependents.

Some elements of funding are based on the income available in your household. If you’re under 25, available income is based on your parents’ income.

Courses below HNC level are generally Levels 1 to 6 on The Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF). An HNC or above is Level 7 to 10.

You'll need to apply for funding every year that you're attending College.

Your funding application will be assessed and you'll be issued with an award letter indicating your award and your payment dates. 

If you leave a HNC/D course, you should let SAAS know immediately so they can stop your payments.  If you leave before 1 December you'll have to pay a third of the full-time fee to the college (£428). 

AccessAble Information

AccessAble give you the detailed information you need to work out if a place is going to be accessible to you.  The Detailed Accessibility Guides tell you all about a venue's access.